Digital Asset Management (DAM)
The proliferation of digital media is creating a number of challenges for enterprises in virtually every industry. This often requires the implementation of a formal digital asset management (DAM) system.
Digital assets — which can include everything from images to Word documents, PDF, video, sound, CAD diagrams, PowerPoint files, documents and illustrations — are often scattered across multiple systems.
Because they’re difficult to logically organize, these assets are often hard to find when needed. Manually searching through countless folders on hard drives and servers is time-consuming. And having to recreate digital media can be extremely costly, especially when an appropriate digital media file already exists somewhere in the enterprise but can’t be found.
There’s also the issue of properly managing digital rights. Digital assets often have legal restrictions on usage and reuse. Keeping track of digital rights and usage for thousands of files is often unfeasible without a digital asset management system. But the legal costs of getting it wrong can be substantial.
Digital Asset Management in STEP
STEP provides a rich set of digital asset management tools integrated within its master data management platform. By managing both digital assets and master data in the same system, digital assets are able to directly reference products, services, locations and other types of business entities.
STEP digital asset management capabilities help ensure everyone is working with one version of the truth. It gives you an opportunity to use master data as asset metadata, minimizing errors and ensuring consistency. STEP also helps support business systems by synchronizing master data and assets directly from one MDM platform. And it enables the delivery of rich, approved content and related assets to web, e-commerce, m-commerce and interactive systems.
With STEP’s digital asset management features you’ll be able to:
- Import and manage digital assets in multiple formats
- Create and maintain asset metadata
- Link digital assets to master data entities including products, locations and suppliers
Key features of STEP’s digital asset management functionality include:
- Workflows for asset approval, file conversion and multi-channel publishing
- Enterprise-wide digital asset management via a user friendly web browser application
- Support for more than 50 file formats
- One file for all channels, with automated conversion to channel-specific formats on export.
- Full support for rich media file types, including video and sound files.
- Centralized database hierarchy allows for one file to be stored in multiple folders with no duplication.
- Multiple department-specific hierarchies, as well as localized hierarchies for global businesses.
- Automated asset metadata import for file characteristics
- XMP metadata import
- Extended system-defined metadata attributes to meet your specific business and process needs
- Ability to localize assets for multiple markets, brands or languages
- Built-in and customized reporting capabilities
Find out more about Digital Asset Management (DAM) and how the Stibo Systems STEP solution can help in our solution brief here.